On November 21, 2011, Barri Payne received her certification from the N.C. State Bar Board of Legal Specialization as a specialist in family law. Barri was one of 12 lawyers across the state certified this year in family law. To be certified as a specialist in family law, a lawyer has to meet several criteria including:
- Licensed as an attorney for over 5 years
- Devote a substantial portion of their practice to family law
- Attend many hours of Continuing Legal Education (CLE) seminars in family law
- Be favorably evaluated by other lawyers and Judges through a peer review process
- Pass a written comprehensive family law exam which is given one time annually
Barri is available for consultations on family law matters such as separation, divorce, child custody, support, separation agreements, or adoptions and is also a certified family financial mediator.